Wednesday 10 August 2011

Review: Solar by Ian McEwan

I'm not sure how I was supposed to read this book: the rise and fall of a man with an environmental science background? A tour of global warming issues with the central character's flaws and selfishness pervading both his professional and personal lives? Anyway, I read it and thoroughly enjoyed it. It has the usual McEwan ability to draw you along - somewhere between making you want to keep reading, drawing you in and turning the screw. Some sort of combination of writing style and plot structure which means I always want to read the next McEwan novel. The scientific subject matter isn't too intrusive and, to someone who knows little about such things, seems convincing. However, the musical content of Amsterdam seemed much less convincing so maybe it's just because I don't know much science! Parts of the book are very funny, with even a farcical trying to have a wee in the Arctic moment. It didn't move me like Saturday or Atonement but I still greatly enjoyed reading it.

No comments: