Saturday 11 August 2012

Gear: walking on hedgehogs

I'm very fussy about footwear. For years I've done the hillwalking thing of always wearing boots. But wearing my normal boots makes my feet ache after about 8 miles. In my winter boots my feet start to scream after 4 miles. In these The North Face Hedgehogs I've covered much greater distances, including the 29 mile A'Mhaighdean one day epic.At the end of such walks my feet, instead of screaming "get these off, put something else on now", feel as if they could carry on walking forever. This is my 3rd pair, bought in a sale, they'll be locked away until my second pair wear out.
PROS

  • comfortable and very light, like wearing slippers
  • good grip
  • just enough support for you to feel what you're walking on, without it hurting
  • waterproof and breathable, I've never felt too cold or too hot
CONS

  • they're only shoes, so water can get in over the top - I always pack waterproof socks, just in case
  • they probably wear out quicker than boots, my first pair lasted 3 years - I never wear anything else on walks
I should say that my ankles are strong - I don't need boots to support my ankles - and I find the freedom of movement that using shoes gives me to be less wearing in general

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Dave,
I was thinking about a pair of these. I am a boot wearer and never have screaming feet problems, but have been thinking about trying a pair of trail shoes awhile now.
Maybe after walking 500 miles in 30 days next month wearing my Brasher Hillwalker GTX I will take the plunge :-)
Thanks for sharing your views on the Hedgehogs!
Chris.

Unknown said...

Hi Chris, thanks for your comment. I've had a pair of those Brasher boots and found them to be very comfortable. The hedgehogs are much lighter and give me a freedom of anke movement I like. But everyone is different and I've read reviews where people see them as flimsy